Canvas is a Learning Mangement System (LMS), and it provides an online classroom platform. Faculty may create their classroom based on their needs. Some features included are: grading, assignments, discussions among faculty and students, reports, peer assignments, and much more. To access Canvas for the first time, faculty and students may go to yosemite.instructure.com and set up their password.
View the demo below to learn how to set up access to Canvas.
How to set up Canvas for the first time
- Start your browser, then in the address bar type: www.mjc.edu (for MJC) or type www.gocolumbia.edu (for Columbia College).
- Over on the right-hand side of the window, click on Online Courses or click Online Learning on the Columbia website.
- On the Canvas page, click Forgot Password.
- Click in the User Name text box and type your e-mail address.
- Click on the Request Password button.
- Open another page in your browser, and in the address bar type: outlook.office365.com, press Enter.
- Type your e-mail address and password then click the Sign in button.
- View the message from Instructure Canvas.
- In the message area, click the link to set a new password: Click here to set a new password.
- Click in the New Password field and type your new password.
- Confirm your password in the Confirm New Password box then click the Update Password button.
- Type your Student ID ("w" number) or YCCD User Name and the password you just created.
- Click the Log in button.
- Click the Submit button.
Other resources can be found at http://www.mjc.edu/instruction/online/facultyresources.php or http://www.gocolumbia.edu/online_learning/default.php.