Science and Natural Resources
Project: Science & Natural Resources Building
General Use: General Instruction
Square Feet: 26,445
Final Cost: $17,743,074.55
Construction Start: September 2009
Opening: Fall 2011
Allow for expansion of the science curriculum and consolidation of program into one modern facility. The completed project is anticipated to be LEED Gold certified.
The new Science & Natural Resource building is in construction. The two-story 21,000 Interior square foot building is located near the existing Toyon building in the center of campus. The new Science & Natural resource building will be a model of green design and sustainable architecture.
The science program at Columbia College is currently housed in three separate buildings and each building must be OSHA compliant for chemical storage and handling. In addition, they must demonstrate appropriate ventilation and safe air quality. As OSHA/EPA standards become stricter, it is increasingly difficult and more expensive to upgrade current facilities.
Chemistry and Physics share a lab and Natural Resources do not have a lab. Most labs also serve as lecture rooms. Current facilities are small, inadequate and decentralized. Storage space is inadequate and air quality in the labs is questionable.
An integrated Science and Natural Resources Building, containing state-of-the-art technology and equipment, and meeting health/air quality and chemical storage standards, is being constructed. Combining the programs will also enhance the sharing and exchange of expensive equipment, sharing of technical staff, and the compliance with federal and state standards.
- Laboratories- Separate labs for each discipline: chemistry, biology, and physics labs with seating for 24 each.
- Laboratory Prep rooms- For each discipline
- Instrument rooms
- Cadaver room
- Lecture rooms- Medium lecture room for 50 students and small lecture room for 30.
- Earth Science and Forestry computer lab for 36 students.
- OSHA-Approved Storage and Disposal- Approved chemical and specimen storage rooms, along with a chemical disposal facility.
- Faculty offices
- Other Features- Stock rooms, equipment storage, conference room, small study rooms, and display cabinets.
Project Status Updates
Current Bulletin: 9/9/2011
Previous Bulletin: 8/24/2011
Earlier updates have been archived. Please contact the webmaster for access.
Links of Interest
Science & Natural Resource Project Presentation, March 2009 (1Mb) April 2, 2009
CC Weather Related Delays Presentation, February 2010 (1.19Mb) February 15, 2010